The Crooked Lake Review

Spring 2004

Home Index Museums Blog Authors Site Map About


The Locomotive

Young Lion of the West


Richard Palmer

One of the most interesting stories relating to pioneer railroading in the Finger Lakes region is that of a small steam locomotive built by the Rogers Locomotive Works of Patterson, N.J. in 1840 for the Auburn & Rochester Railroad, called the "Young Lion of the West," which, coincidentally, was the early nickname of the city of Rochester.

The Lion was built by Rogers about 1840 or '41 for the Auburn and Rochester R. R. Co., and was first locomotive that company owned - the Columbus being the second. The name it bore then was "Young Lion of the West," and under this name, though small in capacity, did excellent service on the strap rail. As the machine was familiarly called "the Lion" by the railroad men, and as age grew on, the title of young became inappropriate, all was dropped of the name save Lion. When the Lion was in his glory, John Ashley and N. C. Martin, veteran engineers, used to hold the reins over the king of the forest. When larger locomotives superseded the Lion, and after serving the company ten years or more, he was sold to the Watertown and Rome Co., and used on their railroad as a repair engine. (From Rochester Union & Advertiser, Thurs., May 20, 1858.)

"Young Lion of the West"
the first engine used on the Auburn & Rochester Railroad

Drawing presented to the Rochester Historical Society by the New York Central Railroad. Furnished by Richard Palmer.

This story is woven together through a series of newspaper accounts. Before getting into this, however, it seems fitting to give a bit of history of the so-called "Auburn Road." The original segment was the Auburn & Syracuse which was opened between those two places in 1838. The Auburn & Rochester Railroad was completed between those two points in 1841. They were consolidated in 1850 to form the Rochester & Syracuse Railroad Company, which in turn became a segment of the New York Central in 1853.

The Auburn Road was a busy rail line for more than a century, and what remains continues to be very active under the management of the Geneva-based Finger Lakes Railway. The New York Central operated passenger trains on the line until May 18, 1958, which was followed by a long and steady decline.

It was abandoned between Victor and Pittsford in 1960; Canandaigua to Victor in 1978, and Pittsford to Rochester in 1982. It was operated by Penn Central from 1967 to 1976 and by Conrail, April 1, 1976, to July 1, 1995, after being purchased by Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca and Ontario Counties, and turned over to the Finger Lakes Railway, along with the remaining segment of Lehigh Valley mainline, about 15 miles, Geneva to Kendaia

The first article, from the Syracuse Courier of Feb. 25, 1881, tracks the history of the locomotive and the early history of the railroad in Central and Western New York. It was contributed by "A. T. B." of Rochester :

Many Years Ago
The Early Days of Railroading
in Central New York

Syracuse Courier

Feb. 25, 1881

"The Auburn and Rochester Railroad was chartered in 1836, and the right of way having been obtained over the greater part of the route, ground was broken and work begun at Slab Hollow, a place near Fisher's Station, in 1838. The length of the road when first opened, was twenty-nine miles, namely, from this city to Canandaigua. The total cost of construction, including fences, depots, locomotives, cars, etc., was $1,012,783. Books for stock subscription were opened August 2, 1836, at villages along the line. Prompt and liberal subscriptions were taken as follows: Rochester, $58,000; Canandaigua, $146,000; Geneva, $108,500; Seneca Falls, $122,900; thus giving a total of $595,000. In 1836 a meeting was held in Lyons to consider a railroad through Palmyra, Lyons, Clyde, etc., to Syracuse.

"The contract for grading the seventeen miles east of this city was let to Messrs. Vedder, Vedder & Co. Hiram Darrow, a Seneca farmer in Ontario, was the boss and was afterwards appointed conductor for the road. Bartholomew Vrooman, of Canandaigua, was foreman of the track gang. In 1840 the first locomotive arrived for the road. It was named the "Lion," from the fact that William Failing, the veteran conductor, while standing beside the engine in the shop, cut the picture of a lion out of a circus bill and stuck it on the locomotive, whereupon the superintendent had the name painted upon the engine.

"This engine was put upon the track at Cartersville, where it was landed from a canal boat. Other locomotives for this road were the 'Ontario' and 'Columbus,' named by William Failing, and the 'H.B. Gibson.' On September 8, 1840, the first time table was published, trains leaving this city at 4 A.M. and 5 P.M., and on their return leaving Canandaigua at 6 A.M. and 7 P.M.

"On September 10, 1840, the first train was run over the road. It was a passenger train and was drawn by the locomotive 'Lion,' in charge of Asa Goodale as engineer, who is still living in this city. Mr. Failing is the oldest conductor in the United States, and can boast that an accident never happened to a train in his charge.

"The first coaches used on this road were from the car shops at Lyons and Utica, and came via the Erie Canal to this city. They were unloaded at the United States Hotel and drawn to the Central depot by horses. On October 10th, 1840, the first train carrying freight was run over the road. It came to this city from Canandaigua. It was drawn by the locomotive 'Ontario,' in charge of Engineer William Hart, who is still living and acts as engineer for the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad at Buffalo.

"On July 5, 1841, the first excursion train was run over the road. It was drawn by the locomotive 'Ontario.' The locomotive 'Lion,' after being used on their road for ten years or more, was sold to the Watertown & Rome Railroad. Its boiler exploded, killing a man, May 19, 1858. The first eight-wheeled car used on this road, and also the first one built in this city (Rochester), was put into service about the year 1842. It was built where the Central depot now stands, by the firm of Kerr & Cunningham, the latter being the well known carriage builder of this city.

"The car was painted by George Arnold, and the first fare on this car was collected by William Failing, conductor. The first accident on this road occurred to the passenger train which left Canandaigua for Rochester on May 5, 1841, drawn by the locomotive 'H. B. Gibson,' Engineer Dion Stiles. When going over a culvert a quarter of a mile north of Railroad Mills, the engine jumped the track and went down an embankment of twenty feet with the engineer and fireman on board.

"The train was left on the track, owing to the breaking of the coupling that connected the tender of the locomotive to the train. The engine was turned upside down and completely wrecked. The engineer escaped injury, but the fireman, was caught in the cab and fatally scalded. The cause of the run off was the elevation of a 'snakehead' on the old strap rail.

"In November, 1841, this road was opened to Auburn. The depot in this city, a long wooden shed containing six tracks, stood on the site of the present depot. It was in this depot that the locomotives were housed, a turn table being just west of the depot. The present structure was built in 1851 by C. A. Jones. The first explosion of a locomotive in this city occurred September 12, 1859. It was the locomotive 'Ontario,' No. 139, in charge of the late Stephen Hanford and Fireman Barcley Murray, who is at present engineer on locomotive 455. The engine was used as a shifter.

"Just west of State Street its boiler exploded. The engineer and fireman seeing the escaping steam reversed the lever and jumped.

"The engineer, Mr. Hanford, was thrown to the ground and badly injured, so much so that the amputation of his right leg below the knee became necessary. He remained in the company's service for many years. The fireman was blown by the force of the steam through the fence and into an adjoining lot."

-- A. T. B., Rochester

The Ontario Repository, Canandaigua, N.Y.

Sept. 16, 1840

The Railroad - A train of cars (composed of the engine Young Lion and one baggage and one passenger car) left Rochester for this place on Thursday, Sept. 10, but did not get through, owing to some hindrances on an unfinished part of the track. On Saturday evening the locomotive, with three cars, came in, and left for Rochester on the following morning."


Railroad Excursion

One of the most interesting first-hand accounts of an excursion train from Rochester to Seneca Falls appeared in the:

Rochester Daily Democrat

Tues., July 14, 1841

On Saturday last, the Directors and Stockholders of the Auburn and Rochester Railroad Company, resident in this city and the several villages through which it passes, accompanied by the Corporations of the several places, their ladies, and the Editors of the daily papers of this city (ahem!) made a delightful excursion to Seneca Falls, a distance of 62 miles. The company which left this city numbered about one hundred, and increased to nearly twice that number before it reached the point of destination. Four superb passenger cars left this city at half past eight o'clock, drawn by the locomotive "Young Lion of the West," which had been very appropriately detailed for that service.

The day was beautiful—one of those which at this season of the year frequently succeeds a heavy rain, which had been falling through the night, and had left every thing in its freshest and loveliest garb. The fears of a rainy day created by a cloudy morning, were dissipated before the hour of departure, by the wind changing into the north, breaking up the reign of the Storm King, and scattering the fleecy clouds—the shadows flittering over the plains and hills scarcely keeping pace with the "Young Lion" until the clear blue became predominant, and all nature seemed to keep jubilee with us in victory which the ingenuity of man has achieved in overcoming distance and binding together more strongly the different portions of our continent.

Such was the rapidity of our flight, that in looking out upon the fields and forests through which we passed, it was no fancy to imagine every object around as in one grand whirlpool, hurrying off to be succeeded by new circles. Scarce had we time to recover from these reveries, before we were passing Brighton Corners, and the splendid groves and farms which constitute the beauty and wealth of that thriving town. The lazy motion of here and there a deeply laden canalboat, seemed in comparison too snail-like to deserve contempt. We soon passed that comfortable retreat, the Monroe Springs, and in a moment were halted at Pittsford, where we received the first accession to our happy number.

Leaving Pittsford, the road passes through sand hills and over short embankments until it crosses the canal at Cartersville, a few rods from the Great Canal Embankment, and nine miles from Rochester. Here is a fine spring of soft water, where the "Young Lion" slaked his thirst, and a few more joined us. A little onward, following the western side of the valley of the Irondequoit, we passed the "Railroad Mills," where good flour may be made, but not yet in quantities large enough to excite the apprehension of our millers that they will there very soon meet with a successful rival.

The sudden change of scenery along this valley is an object of interest to the lover of nature—scarcely noticed, however, before passed, and Victor, with its spires and neatly painted dwellings, is in view, at the distance of half a mile to the left. Here also the "Young Lion" found another spring of soft water, none other being allowed him, for fear of choking his pipes (Considering his speed and bottom, what an argument is this for cold water men!)

The gravelly hills and ledges of rocks through which the road has been constructed to the edge of Bloomfield, might interest a geologist, but we had no time for such investigations, the fine farms in that town and Farmington were soon passed, and Canandaigua in all its loveliness was in full view. At this place we received a large delegation, and well might her citizens feel proud of the occasion. To her capital, enterprise and perseverance are the public mainly indebted for the projection and speedy construction of a work which brings her within two hours travel of this city and in the immediate vicinity of the large villages at the east.

From this point, the road passes down the Outlet of the Canandaigua lake to Manchester—within a few rods of Clifton Springs—between Hildreth's old stand and Flint Creek (another watering place) a little north of Vienna—between Oaks' old stand and the Phelps meeting house—and thence in nearly a straight line to the north end of Water Street, Geneva. The grading is made between these two villages for a double-track, and some of the way the workmen were putting down the rails. A double-track is necessary here, as well for passing the trains between Auburn and Rochester, as for the great amount of freight to be transported east and west on this section.

At Geneva, we found a fifth car, well filled with those who were on the same errand as ourselves; and after hitching on and giving our inveterate drinker a taste of the pure waters of the blue Seneca, we moved forward, but not without casting many a longing, lingering look behind at the beautiful village of Geneva, which it was impossible, with our other engagements, to visit on that occasion as we should wish.

The road here snakes a short curve, taking the straightest practical route to Waterloo, passing a little west of the jail in that village, and in Seneca Falls, also a little west of the center of business in that thriving place.

The Auburn and Rochester Railroad passes through one of the finest portions of the State, and at this season of the year, when "the fruitful fields laugh with abundance," what could be more interesting than such a trip, so politely furnished, and participated in by those who all appeared in the right mood to enjoy it. The cars on this road are universally admired for the ease of their motion—being suspended on springs—and the stillness with which they run enabling the passengers to converse without much difficulty. The seats are remarkably easy, and a passage through the center affords an opportunity for sociability among those congregated in the different parts of the train. The track of the road is comparatively smooth and even, while the Agents are prompt, attentive and obliging, and every precaution is taken to prevent accidents.

The Depot Building on the west side of the Genesee River at Rochester, is one of the largest and most commodious in the United States. The bridge crossing the river a few rods above the Great Falls, is open, affording from the cars one of the most romantic views to be found in the world. This grade is so low that it passes by a deep cutting under St. Paul Street.

The whole road when completed, which will be the first of November next, with the requisite locomotives and cars, will have cost, we are told, from one million to eleven hundred thousand dollars, and the stock before January next must be worth from $110 to $120 a share. No one acquainted with the amount of business to be transacted aside from the passengers and mails, can doubt the correctness of this opinion.

We were four hours in reaching Seneca Falls, where we took dinner. On our return we spent an hour at Canandaigua very pleasantly, and during the whole excursion, every thing conspired to render it all that could be expected, and one long to be remembered.

Auburn and Rochester Railroad

Rochester Daily Democrat

Wed., Aug. 4, 1841

A correspondent of the New York Star confirms what we said in our notice of the excursion to Seneca Falls, respecting the superiority of this road and the great value of its stock. As a correspondent in our paper, lately finding fault with the managers for what he then supposed their refusal to carry the mail, remarked that the State Loan to the Company was based "upon the doubtful security of their road," perhaps we ought to say that in our opinion the remark must have been inconsiderate - at any rate we do not see what could render "the security" of the Road "doubtful," - and if any disagree with us, we refer them to the facts set forth in the following extract from the article in the Star:

Geneva is now a place of deposit for the quantities of coal from the Blossburgh mines, - the transportation of which will much augment the revenues of the railroad. Passing eastward through Waterloo, we reached, about 11 A.M., the village of Seneca Falls, which is the present termination of the road, and is distant 63 miles from Rochester. The remaining part of the road to Auburn will be finished in October.

This is a good road and substantially constructed, - it is by far the smoothest road in the State on which I have travelled. The road from Rochester to Seneca Falls has now been in use a fortnight, and the increase of travel is astonishing. The way travel between the flourishing villages on the line of the road will more than equal our expectations.

The daily receipts equal about $500. The fare is established twenty percent less than that which the company can legally charge, suppose, therefore, the cost of the 63 miles completed to be $1,000,000, which it has not exceeded, $500 per day would be $182,000 per annum. Add to this the sum which the Postmaster General offers for transporting the mail, and this road, it must be perceived, yields already within a fraction of 20 percent per annum on its cost.

When the entire road is finished, I have no doubt that the receipts will verify original estimates of the engineer, Mr. Robert Higham, which promised a gross income of 27 percent, and a net income of 18 percent, per annum. The stock of this company has not found its way to the market; and this is a good symptom. I understand none can be purchased of the country stockholders. Indeed it is at this moment equal in value to the stock of any railroad in the country. A dividend will be declared on the 1st of next January.

The Mails and the Railroad

Rochester Daily Democrat

Tues., Sept. 14, 1841

Our patience is in a fair way to be taxed to its utmost, by the irregularity of the mails. The railroad controversy is settled, but the mail arrangements must be carelessly managed.

On Saturday the train ran over a horse, by which accident it was delayed ten hours beyond its usual time. As if that were not enough, the mail bags upon their arrival in this city were suffered to remain upon the ground near the depot nearly three quarters of an hour before they were sent to the Post Office making eleven hours as good as lost to many of our business men who were thronging the Post Office for their eastern correspondence, while we, printers were obliged to wait all day for the latest news. The evening train did not fare much better, having exhausted all its wood between Seneca Falls and Canandaigua which occasioned another three hours.

We really hope that here the "chapter of accidents" will end, and that if the mails do not arrive regularly it will not be the result of carelessness and neglect.

Rochester Daily Democrat

Wed., Sept. 15, 1841

Our patience had an additional trial yesterday in another vexatious delay of the mail. The morning train due at 6 o'clock, arrived about two and brought no mail in consequence of having run over a cow the night before, which prevented the train from proceeding to Seneca Falls, where the mail was probably waiting

Rochester Daily Democrat

Mon., Nov. 11, 1841

No mail was received in this city on Saturday evening, in consequence of the locomotive running off the track near Seneca Falls in open day light! We understand that there was little or no injury done, although the cars barely escaped being precipitated into a chasm of sixty feet in depth.

This accident, as well as those which have already happened on this road, it is said, was caused by the unaccountable negligence of those who have the management of the train. The greatest dissatisfaction prevails, both with the traveling public and those who reside along the line, in relation to the management of this road. If the Directors would not have another route taken altogether, they will see to these matters in the future.

Perils by Railroad

Roman Citizen, Rome, N. Y.

Tuesday, Nov. 16, 1841

Among the many chances of disaster upon the modern avenue of communication, we have to record a novel mishap upon the Auburn & Rochester road, which caused the detention of the cars, for several hours, on Friday Last.

In crossing the new railroad bridge across Cayuga lake, the train was brought to a dead 'halt' in consequence of a vessel having got aground while passing under the drawbridge on that link of railroad bridge; all hands on board the train had to turn out, dark and cold as it was; and after many hours spent in helping to unload the heavy freighted vessel, she was got afloat and moved off so as to allow the draw bridge to fall into its usual track—and the train, with its grumbling passengers, to go on, after a detention of eight hours, under very vexatious circumstances. —Buffalo Commercial

Editorial Grievances in the Traveling Line

Seneca Observer, Waterloo, N. Y.

Wed., Jan. 13, 1848

On Tuesday last, business called us to Utica, which was to be transacted, if done at all, that day. Disregarding the admonitions of experience in railroad traveling, we started on Tuesday morning in the train which leaves here at 1:30 a. m. When within a half mile of Seneca Falls, the train stopped and soon after the Collector announced to the passengers, the engineer had passed two water stations without replenishing the boiler with water, and that it was impossible to go a step farther.

Seeing it could have made matters no worse, there was a general and profound statement of regret that the boiler had not bursted, and carried the Engineer where he ought to have gone. As it was, a new engine was procured from Cayuga Bridge, and we started from our resting place about daylight, and arrived at Auburn a little after 8 o'clock.

The train had left Auburn, and to inquiries as to the probability of getting forward, the gentlemen connected with the railroad there, with their characteristic regard for truth, informed us that the passengers would be sent on as soon as the passenger train arrived from the east, and would get to Utica before dark.

Very foolishly confiding in these assertions, we did not return home in the morning train. Hour after hour passed, and there being no signs of moving, we abandoned the idea of going East, and spent the day in surveying the beauties of Auburn, among which was the magnificent stone building which adjoins the Depot is very prominent.*

We were forcibly struck with the idea that it was an excellent place to keep railroad engineers in, who did not know enough to take care of their own lives, and the lives and property of others. We were likewise surprised, with such a monitor constantly before them, the railroad officers there cultivate truth so little.

On our return home in the evening, the Collector, probably thinking he had no moral right to do it, did not ask us for pay; and as we thought the same, we did not offer him any. We are glad to find that the Company has such a conscientious officer in their service.

*Auburn State Prison

The Demise of the "Lion"

New York Reformer, Watertown, N.Y.

Thurs., May 20, 1858

Another Man Killed

The engineer and fireman of the small depot engine "Lion," were out near Cape Vincent last Saturday fighting a fire which was threatening to do damage, and just as the fireman stepped to his place to "fire up," the boiler head burst out, and literally blew his body to atoms. His name was Peter Runk, lived at the Cape, and leaves a wife and eight children. He was very industrious, a sober man, aged about 40. The engineer, not being on the engine, was uninjured.

The Lion Locomotive

Rochester Union & Advertiser

Thurs., May 20, 1858

We copied yesterday from a Utica paper a report of the explosion of the locomotive Lion, on the Watertown & Rome Railroad, by which a man was blown into fragments. The engine which has thus terminated its career in a tragical way, once belonged in this city, and is perhaps as well known to the railroad men as any other in Western New York. The Lion was built by Rogers about 1840 or '41 for the Auburn and Rochester R. R. Co., and was first locomotive that company owned—the Columbus being the second.

The name it bore then was "Young Lion of the West," and under this name, though small in capacity, did excellent service on the strap rail. As the machine was familiarly called the Lion by the railroad men, and as age grew on, the title of young became inappropriate, all was dropped of the name save Lion. When the Lion was in his glory, John Ashley and N.C. Martin, veteran engineers, used to hold the reins over the king of the forest. When larger locomotives superseded the Lion, and after serving the company ten years or more, he was sold to the Watertown and Rome Co., and used on their railroad as a repair engine. In this capacity he has been sacrificed, and with him a human life.

The Lion Locomotive

Utica Morning Herald

Saturday, May 22, 1858

The Locomotive "Lion," which terminated its existence in a tragic manner the other day on the Watertown & Rome Railroad, had quite a history and was well known to railroad men. It was built by Norris about 1840 or 1841 for the Auburn & Rochester Railroad, and was the second locomotive the company owned.*

The name it then had was "Young Lion of the West," and although small in capacity it did excellent service on the strap rail. As the machine was familiarly called the "Lion" by the enginemen, the title of "Young" became inappropriate, and was dropped of the name save "Lion." When larger locomotives superceded it, and after serving the company 10 years or more, the "Lion" was sold to the Watertown & Rome Company and was used on their road as a repairer engine. In this capacity it terminated by an explosion, costing a human life.

* Apparently there was a lapse of memory on the part of whoever the newspaper had interviewed. The "Lion" was the first locomotive on the Auburn & Rochester and was built by Rogers in Sept., 1840, (C/N 23) 12x18"x54". The second locomotive, also a 4-2-0, was the "Ontario," built by Norris in 1840, not the "Lion" as stated in the article. Norris also built in 1840 for the A&R the "Columbus," and the "Henry B. Gibson." According to a roster of locomotives dated Sept. 30, 1856, the "Lion" or No. 12, went into service on the Watertown & Rome in June, 1852. Its weight is given as 13 tons with 10-inch bore cylinders, 48" drivers; 7-ton tender, 1,000 gallons water capacity; had run 6,327 miles during the year, and was reported in "Good" condition.

The History of Ontario County, N.Y., (Phila., 1876) p. 57, also erroneously states the "Lion" was built by Norris. "A 'pony engine,' named the 'Young Lion,' built at the Norris shops, was the first locomotive placed on the road. It was brought on a canal-boat to Cartersville, as were the second and third engines, the 'Ontario,' run by William Hart, and the 'Columbus,' by Mr. Newell."

Another secondary source regarding the "Lion" is a somewhat embellished and fanciful tale from Edward Hungerford's The Story of the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh Railroad (Robert McBride & Co., New York 1922), pp. 43-44, which gives another source of origin:

It had started operations with four tiny second-hand locomotives which it had garnered chiefly from New England—the Lion, the Roxbury, the Commodore and the Chicopee. Of these the Lion was probably the oldest, certainly the smallest. It had been built by none other than the redoubtable George Stephenson, himself, in England, some ten or fifteen years before it came into Northern New York. It was an eight-wheeled engine, of but fourteen tons in weight. So very small was it in fact that it was of very little practical use… Louis L. Grant, of Rome, who was one of the road's first repair-shop foremen, finally took off the light side-rods between the driver—the Lion was inside connected, after the inevitable British fashion, and had a V-hook gear and a variable cut-off—and gained an appreciable tractive power for the little engine.

But, at the best, she was hardly a practical locomotive even for 1851. And soon after the completion of the road to Cape Vincent she was relegated to the round-house there and stored against an emergency. That emergency came three or four years after the opening of the line. A horseman had ridden in haste to the Cape from Rosiere—then known as LaBranche's Crossing—with news of possible disaster.

"The wood-pile's all afire at the Crossing," he shouted. "Ef the road is goin' to have any fuel this winter you'd better be hustling down there."

Richard Starsmeare was on duty at the roundhouse. He hurriedly summoned the renowned Casey Eldredge, then and for many years afterwards a famed engineer of the Rome road, and Peter Runk, the extra fireman there. Together they got out the little Lion and made her fast to a flat-car upon which had been put four or five barrels filled with water to extinguish the conflagration. It would have been a serious matter indeed to the road to have had that wood-pile destroyed. It was one of the chief sources of fuel supply of the new railroad. The Lion, with its tiny fire-fighting crew, went post-haste to LaBranche's. But when it had arrived the farmers roundabout already had managed to extinguish the flames... . Case Eldredge reached for his watch. "Gee," said he, "we shall have to be getting out of this. The Steamboat Express will be upon our heels. Peter, get the fire up again."

Peter got the fire up. He opened the old firebox door and thrust an armful of pine into it. The blaze started up with a roar. And then the men who were on the engine found themselves lying on their backs on the grass beside the railroad....

They plowed the Lion out of the fields around LaBranche's for the next two years. Her safety-valve was turned out of the ground by a farmer's boy a good two miles from the railroad. Starsmeare got it and carried it in his tool-box for years thereafter—he quickly rose to the post of engineer and in the days of the Civil War ran a locomotive upon the United States Military Railroad from Washington south through Alexandria to Orange Court House.

So perished the Lion. The little Roxbury's fate was more prosaic. With the flanges upon her driving-wheels ground down and her frame set upon brick piers she became the first power-house of the Rome shops. The Commodore and the Chicopee were larger engines. With their names changed they entered the road's permanent engine fleet.

© 2004, Richard Palmer
Index to articles by Richard F. Palmer
CLR Blog | Site Map | Contact CLR