Dr. John P. Herrick
Dr. Herrick gave up teaching school in 1885 to become a newspaper publisher and for many years published the Bolivar Breeze. He also was a banker, real estate operator, insurance executive, an oil man, and served as president of the New York State Oil Producers' Association. He never lost interest in the profession in which he started. He endowed 29 perpetual free scholarships at colleges and universities.
Although best known for his book, Empire Oil, published in 1949, he also authored Founding a County Newspaper in 1938; and Bolivar, New York - Pioneer Oil Town, in 1952. One of his lesser known works is an article entitled "The Little Red Schoolhouse on Freeman Run," published in the April, 1955 issue of Pennsylvania History. Herrick Memorial Library at Alfred University is named in his honor.
Additional information about Mr. Herrick is found in the History of Potter County, Pennsylvania, by Victor L. Beebe, 1934 (apparently later updated), page 298:
"In April 1886, John P. Herrick, age 18, came to Shinglehouse, a town of 300 inhabitants, purchased the plant of the Palladium which had ceased publication the year previous, and on May 4th established a newspaper called the Sharon Leader. The next July Mr. Herrick opened a branch office in Ceres, Pa., a town of 300 population and established the Ceres Courant August 5th, often walking the five miles to Shinglehouse where he still published the Sharon Leader. In 1888 he consolidated the two newspapers under the name of Oswayo Valley Mail.
"On the night of August 30, 1891, fire destroyed the printing office at Ceres, one day after Mr. Herrick had established the Bolivar Breeze. A new printing office was built and the paper published under a new title, The Ceres Mail. In February 1898, a brother of the editor, Charles A. Herrick, who had' been employed in the office, purchased The Ceres Mail. About three years later, a window glass plant at Shinglehouse had increased the population and the plant was moved there to publish the paper again as the Oswayo Valley Mail.
"Upon the retirement of their father on June 3, 1941, Collins and Joe Herrick, associates in the business, became owners and publishers. They purchased the Potter County Journal and began the publication of both newspapers in Coudersport on January 8, 1942. Beginning April 20, 1944, they were officially called the Herrick Newspapers, Collins and Grayce V. Herrick, owners and publishers.